Apart from starting with the letter H, Halloween and health don’t have much in common, do you agree? The upcoming sweets filled holiday often results in kids loading up on sugar, which isn’t good for them or fun for the parents. It can be difficult to encourage healthy eating on Halloween but it’s not completely impossible, especially when better for you foods have a super fun twist. Us here at My Foodie Box meal-kit delivery service Perth found that the trick to getting the kids eat healthier options is to just make it FUN! That’s what Halloween is all about, right? Try these spooky and delicious treats to get kids excited about eating healthy on this Halloween.
APPLE PEANUT BUTTER MONSTER TEETH
Cut up your apples into sections. Spread about 1 tsp of peanut butter on each slice. Stick 4-6 yogurt covered berries on an angle in the peanut butter, then place a second peanut butter covered apple slice on top. You may need to secure it with a toothpick. Cool for 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving, enjoy!
TIP: Sprinkle apple slices with lemon juice to prevent browning.
(Photo credit: Pinterest)
HALLOWEEN GHOST FRUIT KEBABS
For the marshmallows, use a pipe bag (smallest one you can find) filled with melted dark chocolate to draw a ghostly face onto each white marshmallow. Let the marshmallows dry for a few minutes before using. Wash and cut the fruit into bite sized pieces, you can use any fruit for the skewers! Add some fruit pieces and then a ghost marshmallow to the skewer, repeat the pattern until you are at the top. These spooky ghost fruit kababs are the perfect healthy Halloween snack that your little ones are sure to love!
(Photo credit: Pinterest)
“BOO”NANA COCONUT YOGURT POPS
SNACK-O’-LATERN FRUIT CUPS
SPOOKY PUMPKIN AND ZUCCHINI LOAF
Makes 10 slices, prep time 15 mins, cooking time 55 mins, vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free
- 2 cups of butternut pumpkin
- 1 cup of zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of milk of plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 cups of almond meal
- 1/2 cup of wholemeal flour or GF flour
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of walnuts (optional)
- 1 handful of pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Grate pumpkin and zucchini, remove excess water from zucchini.
- Add eggs, oil and milk, stir.
- In seperate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add to the pumpkin mixture, stir.
- Pour into the tin, sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the top.
- Bake for 55-60mins, or until golden.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool down in tin for 10mins.
- Remove from the tin, slice & ENJOY!
MAKE A SPOOKY FRANKENSTEIN TOAST: Toast up the slice, spread the it with mashed avocado, for extra flavour make some guacamole instead! Cut Frankenstein hair, mouth and eyes out of sheets of nor (dried seaweed sheets) and black olives slices are perfect eyes or if you aren’t a fan of olives, just get creative!