We are in the last stage of the WA winter. And why not make the best of it with this spiced hot chocolate?
It is full of decadent flavours, guaranteed to warm you up on a chilly August night. With sweet, nutty notes from the brown sugar and the awakening aromas from the many spices, this is definitely our go-to winter treat. It is the perfect, Mexican-inspired spiced hot chocolate.
Just like when we create our My Foodie Box chutneys, sauces, stocks and more, we use real spices. Real cloves, real star anise and real cinnamon sticks. Nothing beats the quality you get from pure, unprocessed ingredients.
A pro-Foodie tip is to prepare this spiced hot chocolate a day or two in advance and keep it in your fridge. This way, the spices really get to shine. By leaving your drink to steep at least overnight, the aromas get time to truly develop. Then all you need to do is reheat your drink over the stove or in the microwave before drinking.
For an extra punch, try drizzling a pinch of cinnamon and chilli powder on top before serving. And as always, adding a dollop of whipped cream or a few marshmallows is a great option for hot chocolate.
Spiced Hot Chocolate: Ingredients
3 cups of spiced hot chocolate:
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Pinch of chilli powder
- 1/2 Vanilla Pod (or 1 tsp real vanilla essence)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (or to taste)
- 3 Cups milk (Nut, cow, soy or whichever type you prefer)
- 50 g Very dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp unsweetened, raw cocoa powder
Spiced Hot Chocolate: Method
- Add all ingredients except the dark chocolate to a small pot.
- Heat over low heat until simmering. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Take off the heat.
- Drink immediately, or cool down and keep in your fridge for later.